Tuesday, July 12, 2005

doors to nowhere

(I wish Jay was still with us to see this... sigh... I still laugh when I remember the "statues of animals that look like they got caught in a boat propeller"... )

Anyway, a couple of men came to my house and tore my deck off. Why didn't I tear my own deck off? Because I'm busy tearing decks off for other people, figuratively speaking. Really when you get to the bottom of capitalism, that's all it is--I tear off your deck, you tear off mine.

Why did I let them? Let's do a quiz, see if you can pick out which joist is the old one, and which is the new one they sistered alongside it:

so now I've got no deck, just joists, which is actually kind of neat looking in its own way.

moreover, joists can work like a deck, you just have to be sure-footed. and don't look down.




6 Comments:

Blogger Lorena said...

you have such a beautiful place, where is this?

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've seen and I can happily report: the view rocks, the piano is pretty and it's stocked.

A little too... minimalist... for my taste, but I'm more big and crowded and messy. Daniel's place is all expensive and easily-breakable. I always worry the glass table won't survive our meetings.

7:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I might steal this. I can just imagine Nil in this cool and potentially dangerous setting.

7:17 PM  
Blogger Daniel Heath said...

Jenn: any of you fish can stop by any time. the bar is just out of frame to the left, and I make strong drinks.

Lorena: it is an un-fashionable city in the San Francisco Bay Area... just a couple miles north of Berkeley and Oakland. El Cerrito it's called. we live right here.

Monkey 5: come on, the glass table is almost an inch thick. and if you're getting agoraphobic, just go hang out in my little office.

and yes, you should definitely steal it for your novel. in the morning, all you can see beyond the trees is a white wall of fog. there is condensation on the joists, and the places where the rot has turned the wood to foam are spongy and damp, with different colored fungus spotting and streaking the wood fibers you can crumble between your fingers.

11:00 PM  
Blogger Chemical Billy said...

It's a hip and swinging place, monkey 0's pad. And he does make strong drinks (and obscure ones, on request), and kick-ass waffles. But I have to second monkey #5 - I'm not worried about breaking something exactly, just...messing things up, just by being there, kinda like Pig Pen.

It's all very shiny and clean and Japanese-modern.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Daniel Heath said...

come on, c.b., mi casa es su casa.

and it's not actually that clean if you look even a little closely at something. that dog sheds like a full-grown yak.

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home